Saturday, August 20, 2011

Packing up the Kayaks

For Friday, August 19, 2011

One of my favorite ways to begin the day when I am at the lake is to pull my kayak from its place on the beach and to head out for a morning trek. I don’t mind company but when no one is up to going with me, that’s perfectly okay. This morning’s trip was a solo one.

Today I started out paddling over to an island that for years has been nicknamed “Anne’s Island”. When I was younger, my friends and I used to make our way over to that island, closest to my camp, at least once a day. For several summers when the water level was low, there was land that connected the otherwise island to the mainland at the point. Being able to walk from my camp to the island required us to pass several camps, to walk on others’ land, but when I was young, those quick moments of trespassing were quickly forgiven, if noticed by the camp owners in the first place. I remember waving and having my camp neighbors smile when they did see me passing by. Nowadays, I stick to taking the kayak to get to my island. The sandbar is long gone anyway, at least at this time of the year.

After circling my island, I paddled over to “John’s island” across the way. Again, I’m not sure why it received that moniker, and believe me, I realize that these little islands are probably given many different names by each family living at the lake. But anyhow, I paddled over to my brother’s island and took in the pretty sight of the solitary tree that lives there.

Finally, I went towards the back cove. There I saw a few vehicles on the road, heading towards town. I thought sadly of how tomorrow morning, there would be our own car traveling there, heading home with the kayak I was in at that very moment, sitting atop the car’s roof. The thought made me sigh. I did my best not to let my eyes fill with tears, but to me the saddest moments of summer come when it’s time to pack up the kayaks.

The very sight of the kayaks atop our car roof as we finish packing our things, as we say goodbye to the lake, always pains me. For following that moment comes saying goodbye to my folks and to yet another two weeks of summer spent at my favorite spot in this entire world.

No comments:

Post a Comment