Saturday, December 3, 2011

On my Wish List

Dear Santa,

I truly only want one thing for Christmas. More time.

Oh, I know what you’ll say. I have plenty of time. We are all given 24 hours each day and it all comes down to how we manage the time we have. Well, that’s true of course, but it seems that I need more than those 24 hours every day.

First of all, I need more time to sleep. I am embarrassed to say that I need 10 hours of sleep a night. I never get that amount. In fact I am lucky to get 6 and a half hours before my alarm clock goes off each work day. On weekends I usually manage to get 7 or 8 hours which is better but it is still not the 10 hours my body seems to need.

Secondly, I need more time to get things done. You know, to get all those papers graded and into the computer, to clean my fridge and the oven. Have you seen my basement Santa? That alone will cost me a good six hours at least. I also need time to get paperwork in order, to file, and to shred. I need time to organize those blasted pots and pans that come crashing down every time I open the cabinet doors.

Thirdly, I need time to play a few board games with my kids. I need time to help Emma decorate her bedroom. I need time to watch old movies and to read that John Grisham book that is sitting on my nightstand. You know, the one I bought over a month ago. I need time to try out some new recipes, to read those magazines that are piling up, to go for a walk, and to spend hours outside running around, playing fetch and otherwise tuckering out my puppy.

I need time to call my Mom and Dad, to get on my knees more than I do to talk to God, and to reach over to my husband and to say “Thank you” for being there for me always. I need time to dance to the music that is so loud it rattles the windows, to belt out songs at the top of my lungs, and to laugh so hard I start crying.

Santa, I know what you’re going to say. You’ll remind me that I have everything I need, that I have all the time there is to be had. You’re right of course. And if I power down and fall into my pillow in the next five minutes, I just might get 7 and a half hours of sleep before the alarm goes off again.

Okay Santa. I’ll do what I can. But if you should find it in you to grant me my wish, to somehow find me an extra hour here and there, I’d be most appreciative. Until then, I’ll see what I can do about carving out a little time tomorrow to do these things that never seem to get done.

As always,

Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment