Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Enjoying Eden

For Monday, September 12, 2011

After losing my nearly 17 year old dog Charlie last February, I went several months returning to a dogless home. Her absence was surely felt. For years Charlie had greeted me at the end of a long day at work. She reminded me of the simple joys. She greeted me with reminders that I was her reason for being. She excitedly wagged her tail and followed me around the house as I unpacked my bag. When I came home angry, she knew how to make me smile. When I was happy, she was the first to see my joy. When I felt like a failure, she challenged me. Oh how I miss my sweet girl. Her presence, her love, her protection meant everything to me. She was so much more than just my dog.

As the school year came to a close, I was overjoyed to bring a new puppy home. She quickly acclimated to our family and we all had a glorious summer together. Two weeks ago, we all returned to our normal fall routine. Ziva would now be left home to await our arrival at the end of our day.

Sitting on the deck with my 5 month old puppy has become my favorite after-work activity. I can’t get home quickly enough. The weather here this September has been beautiful, allowing for these late afternoon rests together. We sit and cuddle or sometimes, I sit and we play fetch from my perch. I sometimes bring out my computer thinking I’ll write or connect with friends or family, but most of the time, my lap is free for her to find.

After about an hour with Ziva on the deck, I head inside to prepare dinner. There is sometimes a trip in the car to pick up Emma but Ziva usually joins me, enjoying the ride. I watch her choose to sit and watch me driving instead of looking out the window and I smile. As with my 17 years with Charlie, this time with Ziva is a treasure; there is simply nothing like having a sweet furry girl waiting for my company again at the end of the day.

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
- Milan Kundera

No comments:

Post a Comment