Sunday, January 2, 2011

Transitions


I'm not too proud to admit it. Transitions are tough for me. I get anxious the day before I have to return to work after a vacation. I get cranky the morning we're about to leave on a trip. I hate to pack. I hate unpacking even more. Although I love to play hostess, I get nervous before company arrives, I get weepy every time I say goodbye to my parents after our visits, and don't get me started on how hard I have to work to keep my lips from trembling uncontrollably when my daughter returns to college after having spent some time at home.

I try to be cool. I try to be mature. But I fare little better than a toddler who clings to his mom as she leaves him at daycare on a Monday. I want to stay attached to what was, and I have all I can do to put one foot in front of the other and break away.

There is something that helps me however. I love to cook and bake. There is something very relaxing about preparing a meal or a dessert. For a period of time, my mind is focused on a recipe. As I wait for the oven to reach a certain temperature or as I put dishes away, I often find myself putting things in a better perspective, emotionally and mentally. So what if vacation is over?! I love my job and I'll still have several hours at home each day. Once I get the first day started, I'll be FINE !!

So sure, I'm still feeling anxious. But I've done some preparation for work tomorrow and I've got a delicious batch of whoopie pies to pack into our lunches. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment