Saturday, June 2, 2012

Moment by Moment

Imagine that you and I are sitting on the dock together at camp. We’re right at the end of it, dangling our legs over the edge. The water is cool but not cold, soaking our skin up to the calves. As we look over the lake to the beautiful mountain right in front of us, we feel a slight breeze wafting away our worries. That’s when we begin to share our stories, our ideas, our dreams. Our hearts unbind. These are the moments that transform us, that loosen the knots, that awaken our souls. We are in awe of everything that connects us. Maybe we’ve known each other since infancy. Maybe we have played here since childhood. Maybe we have never parted from one another. Maybe it’s been years since we last talked like this. Maybe we met only recently. It does not matter. We’re here now. Living in the moment. Feeling safe and fulfilled. At peace.

This has always been the place I have run to...from pessimism, from loneliness, from sadness, from stress, from pain, from insecurity, from chaos, from fear, from worry. I know that in years past I have often come here alone. But your life and mine intersect here today, and I stop running. This is where I realize I am safe. The world can continue to spin faster, coming undone with each turn, but here I will not take notice. Here I will feel the water, the breeze, the touch of your hand and I will breathe deeply, deeper than I have in months. Here I will look at you, see you smile, and know that you are happy. Living in the moment, you are happy, safe, fulfilled. At peace.

So I join you here, in the here and now. Today. Tomorrow. Always. My heart unbinds and I am transformed. Imagine that you and I are sitting on the dock together at camp. We’re right at the end of it, dangling our legs over the edge. As the breeze picks up, I inch closer to you. You take my hand, and I know what’s true. You have always loved me, and all that binds us will never fade away. I will forever feel safe and fulfilled because even when I am alone on this dock, I know I am never without you. Here I will always be...at peace. Taking things moment by moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment